Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Good Cook Safe Cut Can Opener

This is going to be a short, picture-filled review because I've got a lot going on this week, which is why I haven't been posting as much as usual. Anyway, today I'm going to talk about the Good Cook Safe Cut Can Opener.


We've had ours for a couple of years now so I think the design has changed a little, but it should be the same product (I just checked it out on Amazon and it looks like the new version has one arm instead of two like mine). Our former can opener was really gross and rusty, so when we finally replaced it, we bought a Safe Cut can opener even though we don't have children because I've always hated how traditional can openers get all up in your food - it's gross! Especially with a rusty can opener, because that thing got rust in my food, I just know it. Plus, who wants to run the risk of getting cut with a sharp edge if you don't have to? This Safe Cut can opener works by unsealing the lid of the can, rather than using a blade to cut through it.

No blade

It's got a firm grip on the can

You can't really tell by looking, but this lid is unsealed now

See? Unsealed!

I flipped the lid upside-down so you can see that it's the full lid and is flush with the can

The lid - no serrated edges, as promised

The only drawback to this type of can-opening is that I can't drain liquids from the can like I used to, since I'm working with the full lid now rather than just the cut version; the cut versions have a smaller circumference than the Safe Cut lid, and therefore fit within the can, making it easy to press and drain. But the more I thought about it, the fact that I can't do that anymore isn't a negative - traditional can openers don't get washed very often, and that blade goes into your food, and then you use the top of the lid to drain it? Who knows what's going on with the top of that lid? I don't know... maybe I am being overdramatic here, but to me, it's easier/safer/cleaner to just use a mesh strainer to drain my food.

Our mesh strainer

Overall: I love this can opener and highly recommend it. It's safer and more hygienic than the traditional can opener, and it's easy to use once you get the hang of it (the first time using it can be weird because you put it on and it feels like it might be right, but you can't help but question if it really is on right, because it feels different than what you're used to, since there's no blade that sinks into the can). 

Re-buy?: If anything ever happens to it, yes. I bought my mom one too, so technically I've already re-bought it :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Since purchasing this one I wouldn't have any other type. Currently buying another.

Post a Comment